We are currently closed for submissions for our next issue, forthcoming in early 2015. Please check periodically to find out when we open submissions for the next issue.
We still need visual art for all of our issues, so these will be reviewed and responded to as soon as possible.
We accept simultaneous submissions, but please let us know if your work is accepted elsewhere. This can be done by withdrawing the submission from Submittable, or by emailing us.
- Submissions should be sent via the submittable app here: https://controllitmag.submittable.com/submit
- If the submittable app isn’t working, use our email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- No more than five poems, three pieces of artwork, or two short stories at one time. It’s fine to submit stories you’ve submitted elsewhere – please just let us know the moment they are accepted by another publication.
- We do not accept previously published work.
- Revisions cannot be made once your piece is submitted.
- Prose submissions should be double spaced and should not exceed 3000 words (unless they are exceptional).
- If there is an unusual format you wish to keep for your work, please send it in a PDF or in the body of an email.
What we want:
- Poetry of any genre.
- Fresh non-fiction—essays with a spin, memoir with a voice.
- Flash fiction and short stories.
- Visual art—photography, drawings, digital paintings.
What we don’t want:
- Clichés (please, no poetry or stories about being a writer or writing unless you’re going to do something new).
- No previously published pieces (with the exception of your own personal blog or website).
- No hateful content (this includes homophobic, racist, sexist, fascist, or anti-religious material).
If your piece is accepted:
- Please wait two issues before submitting again. We hope to publish new and emerging writers and want to give everyone a chance to get their work seen.
- The editors may change syntax, but will seek your approval before publishing.
- We are not paying our writers at this time.
- We do not retain any rights over your work and it can be removed from the website at your request.
- We will give you a space on our contributors page and a bio will be attached to your submission. This can have any information you like, such as a link to your personal website or art store.
If your piece is not accepted:
- We will try to provide feedback on the piece submitted.
- Try again in the future. We may not have liked your first submission, but we may like something in the future.
We look forward to reading your submissions.